An Amazing Road Trip
Located at the juncture of Tainan City’s eastern plain and the mountainous area, Siraya National Scenic Area stretches to part of the mountainous area of southeastern Chiayi County and across “Chiayi” and “Tainan”.
There are two options:
Drive to the attractions of the Area via National Highway No. 3, followed by going through Connecting Road Line Nos. 172 and 171, Expressway No. 84, Line A of Road No. 178 and Provincial Highway No. 20.
Choose Provincial Highway No. 3 which runs through the entire Siraya Scenic Area (mostly the mountainous roads) to visit the attractions by either going south from Chiayi’s Zhongpu or proceeding northward from Kaohsiung’s Neimen.
When driving on Provincial Highway No. 3, please be sure to comply with the speed limit. Beware that there are many speed cameras and plenty of cyclists on the road, so please pay more attention to safety!
Provincial Highway No. 3 mostly has mountainous roads. Some areas are prone to collapse or rockfalls in torrential rains during the rainy season, so please watch for the road conditions or take an alternative route if required.
You may call the Fifth Maintenance Office of Directorate General of Highways at 05-2782861 to inquire about the road disruption status.
Set off from Chiayi (southbound)
- Go south on National Highway No. 1, transfer to Expressway No. 84 and head eastwards to connect the road towards Danei and Yujing Tsou-Ma-Lai Farm.
- 2. Go south on National Highway No. 3. According to the attractions to be visited, you may drive through interchanges of Zhongpu 297.5k, Liuying311.7k, Liuying 323k, Wushantou 329.4k and Shanhua 340.2k. You may also go through the Guantian system interchange 334.9k, followed by transferring to Expressway No. 84 to connect Provincial Highway No. 3, or go through the Xinhua system interchange and transfer to National Highway No. 8 to connect Provincial Highway No. 20. In this way you may visit several Siraya attractions at a time.
- Head south after transferring to Provincial Highway No. 3 from Provincial Highway No. 18. There are a number of gas stations on the route and you may take a rest there. However, the mountainous roads from Zhongpu to Zengwen Reservoir are winding and rough; it requires special attention to your driving speed. Furthermore, the roads are prone to collapse during the rainy season, so please watch for the road conditions or take an alternative route if required.
Set off from Tainan (East-West)
- Drive on Expressway No. 84 all the way heading east to directly arrive at Siraya National Scenic Area.
- Drive on National Highway No. 8 and exit by the Xinhua system interchange (14), followed by transferring to Provincial Highway No. 20. You may go to Yujing to get away from the summer heat by having mangos and shaved ice which can help you get rid of all the summer sultry feeling.
- Drive on Road No. 172 to get to Guanziling Scenic Area and enjoy Taiwan’s rare volcanic mud hot springs.
- Drive on Road No. 174 and transfer to Coffee Highway No. 175 to taste the most authentic Dongshan coffee.
- Drive on Provincial Highway No. 20 to get to the clean water pool of Tainan Shan-Shang Garden and Old Waterworks Museum, where you may take pictures of the historic site to your heart’s content.
Set off from Kaohsiung (northbound)
- Head north on National Highway No. 3, go through National Highway No. 8 towards east until the Xinhua system interchange (14), followed by transferring to Provincial Highway No. 20 to arrive at respective attractions in the southern end of the National Scenic Area in the fastest way.
- Drive on Provincial Highway No. 28 (Tianliao) and Road No. 29 (Qishan), transfer to Provincial Highway No. 3 and head north to arrive at Nanhua, where you may go through Provincial Highway 20 B to head for various attractions of Zuozhen and Xinhua (beware that this road section is mostly mountainous roads).